NEWS STORY: JULY 2008
This page was published as a news story on the
date shown. The information in it may have been updated on other pages
since then. Please use the navigation links, the search facility, or
site-map to check.
Going on holiday: crime advice
At the destination
Follow these tips from Greater Manchester Police for a
- If you want to exchange currency, try and have the exact amount
of money ready. Don't produce a wallet bulging with cash.
- Don't keep your passport, sterling or foreign currency together
and most importantly make sure you keep your travellers cheques in a
separate, safe, secure place.
- Many hotels have a safety deposit box for you to store your
passport, large amounts of cash and credit cards. Always detach the
key fob from the deposit box key and place the fob in the deposit
box, after memorising the box number. If you happen to lose the key,
you won't also lose all your money!
- Handbag and jewellery snatches are not uncommon in many tourist
resorts, so don't put anything valuable in your bag, and only wear
what jewellery is needed.
- On a similar note, pick-pocketing is widespread in many holiday
cities, so again only carry what is necessary.
- There is also every conceivable 'con' going on in most busy
holiday locations, from the photographer who promises to forward the
picture, to the time-share sales person. When you've switched off
and are having a good time, it becomes difficult to tell who the
criminals really are.
- If you find burglary is a problem in your hotel, then consider
hiding valuables in your room. A 'can-safe' looks like a normal tin
of food, hair-spray or drink, but the bottom unscrews to let you
store items away out of sight.
- You can improve door security by taking a temporary door lock.
Looking a little bit like a slide ruler, these locks can be put in
your closed bedroom door to stop anyone getting in whilst you are
asleep. The type of personal attack alarm which has a pull string to
activate the unit, can often be positioned to go round the door
handle. Anyone opening the door whilst you are in would activate the